This is your invitation to participate in a highly selective pre-college program for rising 11th and 12th graders from our partnering urban school districts. The MSU College of Education Teacher Education Academy is a residential program on the campus of Michigan State University. The program is intended to increase college preparation and readiness, as well as nurture an interest in careers in education; particularly urban education.
Train with the best. MSU has been ranked #1 in the nation for elementary and secondary teacher education for 28 straight years!
About the Teacher Education Academy
Program Dates: July 24-August 5, 2022
This program includes:
- An up-close glimpse into college life on the campus of Michigan State University.
- Preparation for success in college with classes including pre-college writing and urban education.
- Exploration of prospective careers in education.
- Learn about applying for college scholarships, financial aid and FAFSA.
- Paid cash stipend upon program completion.
Experience a Summer of Fun and Adventure
Come as strangers, leave as family. Make new friends and take part in a variety of fun activities, some of which include:
- Throw bowling and high-speed kart racing at High Caliber, Michigan’s #1 Indoor Action Park
- Summer Fun Day at Jackson Field
- Spartan-style paint party
Criteria for Application
- Current 9th, 10th or 11th grade student in partnering urban school districts (Lansing, Detroit, Flint, Grand Rapids)
- Demonstration of academic potential
- Online recommendation from school representative
The Teacher Education Academy summer bridge program is committed to cultivating and increasing diversity in the field of education by recruiting students from diverse racial and ethnic backgrounds.
To complete this application, you will need:
- An updated copy of your high school transcript
- A student email address
- A parent email address (must be DIFFERENT from student email)
- The name and email address of the School Representative who will complete your recommendation form
- 300 word essay response to this question:
Why do you want to become a teacher? What excites you most about the possibility of being a teacher? What challenges do you think teachers face?