Teacher Education Academy
This is your invitation to participate in a highly selective pre-college program for rising 11th and 12th graders from our partnering urban school districts. The MSU College of Education Teacher Education Academy is a residential program on the campus of Michigan State University. The program is intended to increase college preparation and readiness, as well as nurture an interest in careers in education; particularly Urban Education.
About the Teacher Education Academy
Program Dates: July 5-31, 2020
This program includes:
- Residential experience on the campus of Michigan State University
- Intense college readiness and preparation including SAT Prep, College Writing & Examining Urban Education.
- Increased understanding of a career in education, particularly Urban Education
- First-hand information on the College Application and Financial Aid/Scholarship processes
- Paid Educational Leadership Component: Earn up to $1000 for tutoring and community event facilitation.
Criteria for Application
- Current 10th or 11th grade student in partnering urban school districts (Benton Harbor, Chicago, Detroit, Flint, Grand Rapids, Lansing, Saginaw)
- Demonstration of academic potential
- Online recommendation from school representative
To complete this application, you will need:
- Your Cumulative Academic GPA
- Your SAT or PreSAT Score (if available)
- An updated copy of your high school transcript
- A student email address
- A parent email address (must be DIFFERENT from student email)
- The name and email address of the School Representative who will complete your Recommendation Form
- 300 word essay response to this question:
Why do you want to become a teacher? What excites you most about the possibility of being a teacher? What challenges do you think teachers face?
- March 15 Early Admissions Deadline
- Early Admissions decisions will be emailed on approximately April 15. Only complete applications will be considered. Due to the volume of applications anticipated, we are not able to notify applicants if their applications are complete until the April 15 decision are emailed. Waitlisted applicants and incomplete applications will be given the opportunity to be considered with the May 1 applicant pool.
- May 1 Final Deadline
- Final Admissions decisions will be emailed on approximately May 20. Only complete applications will be considered. Due to the volume of applications anticipated, we are not able to notify applicants if their applications are complete. Receipt of the online application, the parent authorization and the online recommendation are indicated by automated emails that are sent when materials are submitted.
All applications, INCLUDING Transcripts & Recommendation Form, must be received no later than Friday, May 1, 2020.
For more information:
Dr. Marini Lee
Michigan State University
620 Farm Lane
East Lansing, MI 48824