State of Michigan Technology Requirements for Teachers
The State of Michigan requires that teachers demonstrate the ability to use technological tools, operations and concepts to enhance learning, personal/professional productivity and communication.
What is required?
Teacher candidates must be able to:
- Effectively create and use a variety of online resources to individualize instruction and enhance teaching and learning in the classroom.
- Implement and evaluate the technology-enhanced learning environment to help all students meet curriculum expectations.
- Implement and adapt technology-enhanced curriculum plans to differing learning needs.
- Use assessment results to evaluate the effectiveness of instruction and to modify teaching strategies and plan accordingly.
- Include in own Individual Professional Development Plan (IPDP), the use of technologies and online learning experiences and apply learning to improve practice.
How can teacher candidates meet the requirement?
Teacher candidates can satisfy each part of the technology requirement in any of the following ways:
Demonstrate Through Course Assignments
Instructors of Teacher Education courses (e.g., TE301/302, TE403/404/405/406, TE407/408) design course assignments that allow teacher candidates to demonstrate their technological competence.
Attend Annual Technology Conference
Sponsored by the College of Education Alumni Association and the Michigan Association of Computer Users in Learning (MACUL), the Annual Educational Technology Conference gives students the opportunity to explore the various dimensions of instructional technology. The conference includes excellent examples of teaching with technology in K-12 schools provided by experts and practicing teachers who actively integrate technology into their curriculum and assessment. The conference features 1-hour information sessions and 2-hour “hands-on” workshops in which attendees gain experience with technology. Each attendee receives a certificate of attendance to add to his/her teaching portfolio.