The online Master of Arts degree in Education (MAED) is designed for educators who are interested in enhancing their professional practice through online study of advanced professional knowledge related to teaching, learning, and leadership in P-12 schools and postsecondary contexts (e.g. community colleges, universities, community centers and the workplace).
The MAED is available only online and only under Plan B (without thesis). The online format provides optimum flexibility for students who wish to engage in inquiry and learning that will contribute to exemplary educational practice.
Concentrate your studies
Students may choose from several concentrations, including special education, technology and learning, P-12 school and postsecondary leadership, literacy education, sport coaching and leadership, and science and mathematics education.
- Convenience to study where you live or work without having to come to campus
- Breadth of course selection focus in-depth on one or two areas of concentration, or pick one area for close examination and explore broadly across other areas
- Apply what you learn online in your classroom and personal life
- Earn your MA degree by successfully completing and exhibiting an online portfolio
- Full-time Academic Advisement readily available
- Entirely online
The MAED will enrich and extend students’ capabilities to:
- Construct more effective documents and presentations
- Achieve improved outcomes in their work
- Conduct inquiry, evaluation or research
- Evaluate the legitimacy and quality of research and policy in their field
- Design, manage, and support group projects and processes
- Apply new technologies
- Access digital environments for ideas, information, and resources
- Use digital tools for communication, collaboration, and presentation
- Learn through digital information delivery and interactions (i.e. wikis, podcasts, webinars, and other formats)
- Exercise leadership
- Advance to new levels of professional practice and responsibility
- Professionally develop
- Introduce new ideas, programs, or practices into their workplace
Among the best
Michigan State University is tied for fifth in the nation for the best online master’s programs in education, according to U.S. News & World Report.
The Master of Arts in Education is one of the online programs in the college being recognized for their commitment to quality, accessible and innovative online education. Learn more about the 2019 rankings and learning opportunities for students.
Our fully online program gives you flexibility to complete your studies when and where you want.
Share Your Work
Create an online academic portfolio of what you learn in MAED to bolster your professional skills.
Apply to Practice
Take what you learn in your classes, and apply it directly to your profession.
Proven Success in Online Education
Since fall 2001, more than 900 educators from the United States and overseas have graduated from the program. Fully accessible and online courses are taught by faculty and advanced doctoral students, and many of the courses are unique among online offerings in the field of education.