Proposal Submission Timeline
|6 weeks before deadline||Notify ORA of Intent to Submit. Complete the online proposal intake form. The Proposal will be assigned to an ORA staff member. Schedule initial meeting with ORA and provide sub-award contact information.|
|4 Weeks before deadline||Begin Budget Draft. Continue to meet with ORA to develop budget. Provide list of all PIs, key personnel, consultants, and any subcontracts.|
|10 business days before deadline||Subcontract Documents due. Subaward documents (budget, budget justification, scope of work, commitment form) are due to ORA 10 business days prior to the sponsor deadline.|
|8 business days before deadline||Final Budget & Budget Justification due. Final budget, budget justification and scope of work due to ORA 8 business days prior to the sponsor deadline.|
|6 business days before deadline||Final Proposal to ORA. All final proposal documents are due to ORA 6 business days prior to the sponsor deadline.|
|Deadline||Proposal submitted on or before the sponsor deadline. If PI receives e-mail notification, please forward a copy to the Office of Research Administration.|
If an internal deadline is missed, we cannot guarantee your proposal will be submitted on time. We will do everything possible to help after the proposals that have met the deadlines are submitted.
Review MSU’s Proposal Submission Deadline Policy for University policies including:
- OSP Commitment
- Late Proposals
- At-Risk Proposal Submissions
- OSP Proposal Preparation Deadlines
- MSU Department and/or College Research Administrator Lead-Time Policy
- PI At-Risk Proposal Submission Email Request Instructions
- Suggested Proposal Timeline Guidance
Electronic copies of submitted proposals are kept on file in the Office of Research Administration.
Check the status of your proposal application submission:
- Grants.gov – PI can follow progress to agency: www.grants.gov
- NIH – PI can follow status in eCommons. commons.era.nih.gov/commons/
- NSF – PI can follow status in Research.gov. https://www.research.gov/research-web/
When you receive notification of the funding status, please notify the Office of Research Administration staff.