Minor in Educational Studies

The Minor in Educational Studies, administered by the College of Education, is intended for students who are interested in the intersection of learning, education and society. It can be a valuable program addition for students pursuing careers in the social and behavioral sciences, law, social justice or youth services. This minor does not offer professional training for teaching or lead to a teaching certificate or license.

The minor is available as an elective to students enrolled in any bachelor’s degree program at Michigan State University, except the Bachelor of Arts Degree in Education. With the approval of the department and college that administer the student’s degree program, the courses used to satisfy the minor may also be used to satisfy those for the bachelor’s degree. At least 12 unique credits counted toward the 18-credit minor must not be used to fulfill requirements for the degree.

For information about the minor, including how to enroll, students should contact Michael Haslett at haslett3@msu.edu or (517) 353-9680.

Students can also visit the College of Education advising office.

Course Requirements

Complete the following course (3 credits):

TE 201 Current Issues in Education3
Complete 15 credits from the following:
CEP 260 Dynamics of Personal Adjustment3
CEP 261 Substance Abuse3
CEP 370 Educating Students with Special Needs3
CEP 371 Fundamentals of Conflict and Conflict Resolution in Educational Settings3
CEP 416 Teaching and Learning with Technology3
CEP 460 Communication Skill Training for the Helping Professional3
CEP 470 Disability in a Diverse Society3
EAD 315 Student Leadership Training3
EAD 361 Educational Reform and Policy Analysis3
EAD 362 Student Culture and Higher Education3
EAD 363 Diversity and Higher Education3
TE 150 Reflections on Learning3
TE 250 Human Diversity, Power, and Opportunity in Social Institutions3
TE 351 Urban Education3
TE 352 Immigrant Language and Culture3
TE 353 International Education3

Additional courses may be used to fulfill this requirement with approval from the student’s academic advisor for the minor.