Renewal of the Professional Certificate requires 150 hours of education-related professional learning earned and entered into MOECS since issuance of the most recent certificate or certificate renewal; options include:
- Six semester credit hours at a college or university
- 150 SCECHS (State Continuing Education Clock Hours)
- 150 DPPD (District Provided Professional Development) hours, or
- Some combination of those after issuance of most recent certificate
The Standard Certificate is valid for 5 years
- It must be renewed every 5 years
- Renewals are unlimited.
- All certificates expire 5 years from June 30 of the calendar year in which the certificate was issued.
- Renewals are handled through MOECS.
Education-Related Professional Learning Hour Conversion
• College credit: 1 semester hour = 25 professional learning hours
• SCECH hours: 1 SCECH hour = 1 professional learning hour
• DPPD hours: 1 DPPD hour = 1 professional learning hour
For complete and current certification information, see the Michigan Department of Education website.