MSU Course Offerings and Enrollment Status Options

MSU Course Offerings

For information about MSU courses, please visit the MSU Schedule of Courses. Entering the Semester (e.g., FS13), Subject (e.g., TE), and Course Number (e.g., 846) of interest will allow you to see each section of a course. Be sure to note section-specific information such as enrollment restrictions, additional hours required, start and end dates, times and locations, and whether sections are offered online, in hybrid format, or in a location other than East Lansing. An “X” will appear if the section is full.

Using your activated NetID and password, you can enroll through the Schedule of Courses site using the “Schedule Builder” feature. If you need enrollment assistance contact the department offering the course directly (the phone number is included near the top of the page in the Schedule of Courses). It is best to enroll as early as possible, since many courses fill quickly. Be aware that current MSU students enroll in the spring semester for the following summer, fall and spring semesters.

Additional information about MSU courses can be found at MSU Course Descriptions.   

Application and Enrollment Options for Teachers

There are several enrollment status options for teachers who are adding new endorsements, earning credits for the Professional Certificate or renewal of the Standard Certificate, or satisfying the State of Michigan’s reading requirements. Applicants to the Post Bachelor’s Program who are pursuing initial teacher certification must refer to the application and enrollment options specific to that program.

  • Teachers* may apply for admission as Lifelong Education (non-degree) students. Applicants who choose this option should answer “yes” to the question on the application that asks if the credits earned will be applied toward certification. This will result in admission to MSU under a special non-degree status for teachers called “Graduate Certification” or “GC.” Lifelong Education/Graduate Certification students are assessed at the Lifelong Education tuition rate (see the Tuition, Fees and Housing Calculator). There are no additional fees associated with this status, which minimizes cost (note that out-of-state rates still apply and international students still pay an additional fee). Lifelong Education students are not eligible for most sources of financial aid; however, Graduate Certification students enrolled at least half-time may be eligible for need-based grants and loans (through FAFSA). This status does not apply to all teachers, including those enrolled in Type 2 Graduate Certificate programs.
  • Lifelong Education/Graduate Certification students who are considering future admission to graduate degree programs should be aware that MSU allows no more than 9-12 Lifelong Education credits to be applied to a graduate degree. In the College of Education, any combination of up to 9-12 (1) transfer credits, (2) Lifelong Education credits, and/or (3) credits earned at the Graduate Certification level (e.g., during the internship) may be applied to a graduate degree with faculty approval.
  • Individuals who wish to pursue a graduate degree must apply to the desired graduate degree program through the Graduate School in accordance with established application deadlines and procedures. Tuition rates are higher than those for Lifelong Education; however, graduate degree students are eligible for financial assistance. 
  • Less commonly, teachers pursuing additional endorsements may be advised to apply as undergraduate students pursuing a second degree (with no obligation to complete the degree). This choice should be made only after consultation with a teacher certification advisor in 134 Erickson Hall. In this case, applicants not previously admitted to MSU as undergraduate students should apply for undergraduate admission under the Transfer classification. Applicants who have already earned undergraduate degrees from MSU should apply for readmission to MSU

*This information also applies to individuals who have already earned a master’s degree in education (or a related field) and are completing an approved core administrative studies program leading to certification as a K-12 Administrator. The School Administrator Certification Pathway requires an additional 18-21 credits. These credits can be completed as a non-degree student.