Adding an Endorsement to an Existing Teaching Certificate

Credit Requirements for an Additional Endorsement

Additional endorsements are considered extra endorsements (i.e., they are earned after the State of Michigan’s minimum requirements for certification have been met). Therefore, relevant courses can be double counted and relevant credits earned prior to certification can be used to satisfy requirements for the new endorsement. However, per university policy, the time limit for using graduate-level courses (e.g., for the Reading [BT] or Reading Specialist [BR] endorsements) is five years.

Enrollment Status

Teachers who wish to take courses leading to an additional endorsement have several enrollment options at MSU.

Information about MSU Course Offerings

Please visit MSU’s Schedule of Courses for information about course offerings. Note that you must search by semester and year (see pull-down menu near the top of the screen). Click on the course number for the MSU Course Description. Look under each section number for information about whether the section is offered online, who is eligible to enroll, who to contact for permission to enroll, where the section is offered and course dates. Click on the section number for more specific information about important dates.

GPA Standards

To be recommended for certification by MSU, an applicant must have an overall GPA of at least 2.5 and a GPA of at least 2.5 in the coursework applied to the new endorsement, with no single grade lower than 2.0. Teachers with Graduate Certification (GC) status are expected to maintain a GPA of at least 3.0, and a minimum GPA of 3.0 is required to receive Financial Aid.

Required Steps for Adding an Endorsement

  • Consult with a teacher certification advisor (134 Erickson Hall) to develop a program plan for satisfying coursework requirements; the majority of credits must be taken through MSU
  • Have an approved endorsement plan on file in the MSU Certification Office (134 Erickson Hall)
  • Complete the planned program of coursework
  • Pass the appropriate Michigan Test for Teacher Certification (MTTC)
  • Apply to have the endorsement added to an existing certificate