Here are some important things you should know if you are planning to apply to the HSHSP or are recommending a student apply:
Who should apply?
Anyone who is presently a high school junior may apply.
When is the application deadline?
Applications and supporting materials should be received no later than March 1st, 2020.
Please send the completed program application and supporting documents to:
Dr. Gail Richmond, HSHSP Director
620 Farm Lane Room 319 Erickson Hall
Michigan State University
East Lansing MI 48824-1034
The participant fee for the 2020 HSHSP will be $3,800 (This cost covers room, board, and some instructional costs)
Please check that you send the following, and make sure that your name is on all pages of your application and accompanying materials:
- A completed HSHSP Application Form which may be downloaded, completed and mailed mailed with the remainder of supporting documents to: Dr. Gail Richmond, HSHSP Director
620 Farm Lane Room 319
Michigan State University
East Lansing, MI 48824-1034
- A personal essay of 400-600 words. The essay must be neat and should address your interests in scientific research and in attending the HSHSP; what do you think you can contribute and any other significant related events in your life that you feel would be helpful to the Director in evaluating your application. I do not want to receive an essay that details your lifetime awards and honors, but rather an honest and compelling story about why you want to spend 7 weeks of your summer away from family and friends, doing full-time research, and why your participation would make difference in your life.
- A second essay of the same length in which you describe the impact a book you have read has had on your thinking or any aspect of your life. This book can be one assigned in a course or one you chose to read for pleasure.
- List the following:
- Courses you currently are taking if not included on the transcript (for which you have not yet received a grade).
- Books or magazines you have read during the past year that were not assigned by a teacher. (Include non-science readings.)
- Recommendations from at least two teachers, at least one of whom should be a science teacher you recently have had as an instructor. Please remind them that their letter does make a difference and should speak to your unique strengths as an individual—and should NOT simply be a recap of your resume. (That doesn’t tell me anything about how and what they know about you as an individual and why you might be suited for such a program.) These letters should also reveal something about your motivation, independence, and maturity, so select these individuals carefully. Give these teachers an envelope into which they should place their signed letter. This envelope should be sealed and should accompany your application and other materials in the same larger envelope.
- Official high school transcript (with a seal) including all standardized test scores. Be sure to request that your school send test scores and rank in class (if available). Screenshots of your test scores from College Board or ACT are also accepted and highly recommended. The absence of some type of standardized test might delay the review of your materials, so be sure to address this in your application!
- If applying for financial aid, please submit the financial statement form.
Signed and sealed letters of recommendation, official transcript, and if applicable, financial aid application must be mailed along with the other application materials in a single envelope. Requests for financial assistance do not influence the selection process. If there is any conflicts with your school or your recommender with handing you a sealed envelope to send with the rest of your applications, please notify firstname.lastname@example.org that some materials will be sent separately. You should receive a notification upon the completion of your application. If not, that means that we have not received all required materials and please ensure that your school and recommendation letters are sent in time.
Mail application and all supporting documents together
Signed and sealed letters of recommendation, official transcript, and if applicable, financial aid application must be mailed along with the other application materials. Requests for financial assistance do not influence the selection process.
THE APPLICATION, ESSAYS, LETTERS OF RECOMMENDATION, AND HIGH SCHOOL TRANSCRIPT SHOULD BE RECEIVED BY MARCH 1st, 2020. Later applications will be considered if space is available.