College of Education Sitemap
Skip to Main Content

Department of Educational Administration

Master of Arts in Higher, Adult, and Lifelong Education


Application Process

Have a question about applying?

First things first, we require the following:

Application Deadlines

The HALE M.A. program accepts students for fall and spring terms and conducts two admissions cycles.

Starting Semester Application Deadline
Fall term May 15
Spring term October 15

Application Checklist

To apply to the HALE M.A. program, you must first submit your paid application to the Graduate School. When you have successfully submitted your application to the Graduate School, you will receive an email with a link to the MSU Graduate Education Application Portal where your must upload the materials listed below in PDF format.

You will need your applicant ID number and the password you created when you completed your application to the Graduate School.


Your application files will not be reviewed until the application fee is paid and all required application materials are received.

Please note: The GRE or an academic interview are not required for admission.

Step One

Apply to MSU
Submit MSU Application for Graduate Study and fee ($65.00). Online HALE M.A. Program Code: 6734
Step Two

Submit Resume
Upload your resume to the MSU Graduate Education Application Portal
Step Three

Submit Letters of Reference
The system generates an auto-message from to recommenders with directions to upload letters on the portal. Three (3) references are required. At least one (1) reference should be from a faculty member whom has had you as a student.
Step Four

Submit Personal Statement
Please answer the three (3) questions below and upload to MSU Graduate Education Application Portal
  • What experiences led to your interest in pursuing a career in higher, adult, and lifelong education?
  • What qualities, characteristics, and skills do you possess that will make you a strong candidate for the HALE MA program?
  • How will the HALE program help you meet your personal and professional goals?
Step Five

Submit Transcripts
Please have each degree-granting institution you have attended either email or mail your official transcript to the HALE M.A. Admissions Assistant. Please note: We cannot accept unofficial transcripts.

Where to Send Transcripts

Higher, Adult, and Lifelong Education Program
c/o HALE Admissions Assistant
Department of Educational Administration
Michigan State University
Erickson Hall
620 Farm Lane Rm 423
East Lansing, MI 48824-1034
Phone: (517) 353-5187



International students must also include certified copies of degree certificates with notarized English translation of all transcript materials. International applicants must provide proof of English language proficiency if English is not their first language. International students must follow additional directions posted on the International Students webpage.

Students who attended Chinese institutions for their bachelor's degree must follow additional directions posted on The Graduate School Verification Process for Transcripts and Degrees from China webpage.

Transfer Students: Applicants who wish to transfer into the HALE M.A. from another MSU graduate program outside the Department of Educational Administration (EAD) must complete a new application, including the Graduate Application for Admission and all supplemental materials. Current EAD students looking to transfer to another program within EAD should consult their advisor and the coordinator of the program.