The Department of Teacher Education at Michigan State University is seeking an associate/full professor in teacher education to serve as department chair. The ideal candidate should be committed to inclusive leadership of a department that is research and grant productive, dedicated to quality teaching, and concerned for the optimal development of undergraduate, masters’ and doctoral degree students. Our five-year teacher preparation program is among the most well-respected in the country and works with communities and schools in Detroit, Chicago, Lansing, and Grand Rapids, as well as over 50 other communities in Michigan. Candidates with a significant interest in collaboration with such diverse communities are especially encouraged to apply. The chair serves as the chief academic, fiscal, and administrative officer for the Department and is responsible for fostering excellence in the Department’s research, teaching and outreach/service activities and in the College of Education, in which it is housed.
The Department of Teacher Education at Michigan State University is distinguished for its commitment to scholarly inquiry in teaching and learning, broadly defined. It is one of four departments in the College of Education, and is the home to almost 60 tenure-system faculty, as well as staff, fixed-term faculty, specialists and almost 150 research and teaching assistants. The Department has a large elementary and secondary teacher preparation program, an online master’s program, and a doctoral program that has been ranked first in the nation by U.S. News & World Report for the last 19 years.
- Leading the faculty in carrying out the work of the department, helping it to continue to thrive and advance
- Promoting excellence in scholarship, teaching, and outreach
- Hiring, mentoring, and evaluating a capable and diverse faculty
- Fostering faculty members’ and graduate students’ success in obtaining funding
- Advocating department priorities to the College and University leadership
- Facilitating effective collaboration within the Department and across the College and University
- Actively contributing to conversations about teaching and teacher education at the local, state, national, and international levels
- Overseeing Departmental fiscal responsibilities
- Supporting a collegial and productive work environment for diverse faculty, staff, and graduate assistants
- Supporting the recruitment and development of a diverse and outstanding student body
- Promoting faculty professional development and enrichment
- A record of accomplishments consistent with appointment as a tenured associate or full professor at a research-intensive institution
- A commitment to an array of substantive domains related to teacher education
- Record of effective inclusive leadership and/or administrative experience and demonstrated ability to work in diverse teams and across institutional boundaries
- Demonstrated commitment to recruiting and supporting faculty and students from diverse backgrounds
- Demonstrated commitment to intellectual diversity and cultural richness
- Record of ability to engage faculty in professional growth and development
- Management skills relative to planning, budgeting and administration
It is expected that the individual hired for this position will interface with ongoing departmental efforts and with campus units that share facilities or in which faculty have joint appointments. The position is an annual year appointment with an effective appointment date of August 16, 2014.
Application and Deadline
Interested candidates should send a letter of application, curriculum vitae, and names, addresses, email, and telephone numbers of three references electronically to: Jobs.msu.edu, posting number 8440) MSU is an affirmative-action, equal-opportunity employer. MSU is committed to achieving excellence through cultural diversity. The university actively encourages applications and/or nominations of women, persons of color, veterans and persons with disabilities.
Questions regarding the position may be directed to the Chair of the search committee, Beth Herbel-Eisenmann (TEChair@msu.edu).
Review of applications will begin October 25, 2013 and will continue until the position is filled. Please visit our webpage (http://education.msu.edu/te/) for further information about the Department of Teacher Education.