For MSU College of Education employees who may be locked out of their office/area after hours and need assistance:
If you have forgotten critical personal or work items in an office, research space or classroom:
The Michigan State Police will help the person enter the space and, if you can prove the items are yours, they will allow you to take the items (ex. purse with an ID matching the person asking for assistance). The police will then escort the person out of the space and out of the building.
If the person has access to the building and space, after being escorted out they are welcome to go back into the building and/or space.
The police, after hours, will not be able to answer what access someone’s ID has.
If you want to get into an office or building to work, but forgot your keys/MSU ID:
If you can prove you belong in a certain room or building, the Michigan State Police will let you in (ex. name on the door to an office and you have ID matching that name).
If there is no obvious way to tell if someone belongs in a space or building (ex. a person has left all their IDs at home), the police will not be able to assist.
How to contact MSU Police:
Call the non-emergency (unless it is an emergency) police number first: 517-355-2221. If you are unable to get through, call the emergency number: 517-355-2222. Use only the last five digits when using campus phones (5-2221 and/or 5-2222).
In Erickson, on the first floor, there is a campus phone in the lobby across from the elevators that will only dial campus numbers.
Outside the buildings, you can use one of the 150 green light emergency phone towers throughout campus.
Properly Disposing of Items from Offices
Please read through the suggestions (below) of how to properly clean and dispose of items from offices. Please use recycling hampers when emptying your office rather than trash bags. There have been an increase of items put in trash bags intended for the landfill, but a vast majority of the bag’s contents can be recycled or sent to salvage. MSU will not pick up these bags they are true landfill items. We can order as many recycling hampers as you need to clear out your office.
What goes in a recycling hamper?
- Paper, binders, file holders, books, journals, notebooks, pens, markers and pencils
- Metal* or mixed metal items, wood, plastics, cardboard, bags
- Fluorescent bulbs in protected and labeled packaging, used alkaline batteries
- Almost anything else not listed below
*Keys should be returned to Tracy Abbott in 133 Erickson Hall.
What can be sent to salvage?
- Anything with resale value to the university or value to another department that is not on the EHS list
- Furniture, staplers, tools
- Electronics**, appliances
- Unsoiled clothing
**Computer equipment should be reviewed by IT and not directly sent to salvage.
What can go in the trash?
- Soiled food containers and packaging
- Leftover food waste, food-based aerosols
- Empty and dry latex paint cans, tools and rags
- Used PPE (masks, wipes, etc.)
What can be handled by Environmental Health & Safety (EHS)?
- Wet paint, oil-based paint cans, tools, rags, thinners
- All non-food based aerosols, industrial oil, lubricants, solvents
- Non-alkaline batteries (lithium, lead acid, mercury, silver oxide), light ballasts
Visit the EHS site to schedule pickup or to learn about chemical, biological, medical and animal lab waste instructions.
What about my printer cartridges?
Printer cartridges should be sent back to the manufacturer. Follow instructions in the box for new toner/ink.