For the 28th straight year, Michigan State University has been ranked #1 in the nation for elementary and secondary teacher education.
The annual rankings from U.S. News & World Report have also named MSU #1 for curriculum and instruction for the fourth straight year.
“We are excited and honored to learn that our college has been recognized so positively in the rankings. These recognitions reflect the commitment to excellence in our teaching, research and outreach expressed by our faculty, staff and students.”Ann E. Austin
Interim Dean, MSU College of Education
In addition, the university remains #1 in rehabilitation counseling since its last ranking by U.S. News in 2019.
In total, eight programs are currently ranked in the nation’s top 10, based on a survey of education deans.
Here is the full list of MSU College of Education programs listed in the 2023 U.S. News edition of “Best Graduate Schools:”
- Elementary Teacher Education – #1
- Secondary Teacher Education – #1
- Curriculum & Instruction – #1
- Rehabilitation Counseling – #1 (last ranked in 2019)
- Educational Administration – #2 (tied)
- Higher Education Administration – #2 (tied) – up from #4
- Education Psychology – #6
- Education Policy – #8
MSU’s programs in Special Education also rose in the rankings this year. They were named #11 in the country, up from the #12 spot in the previous year.
Overall, MSU is ranked #22 in the country (up from #23), and #13 amongst public universities. The overall rankings are assessed based on data such as degrees granted, student-to-faculty ratio and more.
“It is an honor to know that our colleagues across the country hold our programs in such high regard. We are proud of the accomplishments of our faculty and graduate students that are reflected in these rankings.”Kristine L. Bowman
Associate Dean, Academic & Student Affairs
The annual Best Graduate School rankings are one of the many ways in which Michigan State University and the College of Education are recognized for excellence. Earlier in 2022, four program areas in the College of Education were ranked among the top five in the nation in the ranking of Best Online Master’s Programs in Education by U.S. News.
Worldwide, MSU is recognized as:
- #2 in the 2021 Global Ranking of Academic Subjects (Education) by ShanghaiRanking—the 2021 ranking is the second year in a row MSU has held this level of acknowledgement
- #12 in the 2022 World Rankings by Subject (Education) by Times Higher Education
- #19 in the 2021 World Rankings by Subject (Education & Training) by Quacquarelli Symonds (QS)
Read MSUToday for details about other graduate program rankings across campus. Visit usnews.com/grad for more information.