The Michigan State University College of Education has been named No. 1 in the nation for four of its graduate programs in education.
The latest annual rankings from U.S. News & World Report have named MSU’s programs in elementary and secondary education best in the nation for the 27th consecutive year, as well as a third straight year at No. 1 for curriculum and instruction.
For the first time, MSU was also ranked No. 1 in educational administration, jumping six places from its previous rank of No. 7. The historical high for the specialty area was No. 4 in 2018.
“These rankings reflect the quality of our programs, faculty, staff and graduates,” said Dean Robert E. Floden. “I’m delighted to see the increased recognition for our programs in education leadership, as well as the continuing recognition for our graduate programs.”
The university also remains No. 1 in rehabilitation counseling, since its last ranking by U.S. News in 2019.
In total, eight specialty areas within the MSU College of Education placed within the nation’s top 10 programs. The results were based on a national survey of deans from schools of education.
Here is the full list of MSU College of Education programs listed in the 2022 U.S. News edition of “Best Graduate Schools:”
- Elementary teacher education – #1
- Secondary teacher education – #1
- Curriculum and instruction – #1
- Educational administration – #1
- Rehabilitation counseling – #1 (last ranked in 2019)
- Higher educational administration – #4
- Education psychology – #5 (up from #6)
- Education policy – #8 (up from #9)
Special education, ranked No. 12, also rose one spot from No. 13.
Overall, MSU is ranked No. 23 in the nation (tie) for schools and colleges of education, and No. 13 among public universities.
Earlier this year, in a separate ranking by U.S. News, the college’s online master’s programs in education were ranked No. 4 in the nation.
The university is also recognized globally for its excellence in education. MSU is ranked:
- No. 2, Shanghai Global Ranking of Academic Subjects 2020 (Education)
- No. 12, Times Higher Education World University Rankings by Subject 2021 (Education)
- No. 19, Quacquarelli Symonds (QS) World University Rankings by Subject 2021 (Education & Training)
Read MSUToday for details about other graduate program rankings across campus. Visit usnews.com/grad for more information.