We are currently accepting applications to join our program in the Fall 2024 Semester (your classes would begin in August).
The deadline to apply is Friday, April 12, 2024. Please submit your application via the MSU Application Management System.
Please review each section of this webpage in its entirety to assist you with your application (email firstname.lastname@example.org for additional support).
- An undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or higher. Applicants with a GPA lower than 3.0 may be admitted provisionally if application materials demonstrate a likelihood for success in the program.
- 2-3 years of professional work experience that demonstrates your understanding of postsecondary education is strongly preferred.
- English competency test scores for international applicants.
- Official transcripts
- Three (3) letters of recommendation, at least one (1) must come from a faculty member
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Application materials are detailed below under the “Required Application Materials ” heading below.
- No GRE scores are required.
The HALE M.A. program accepts students for fall and spring terms and conducts two admissions cycles.
|Starting Semester||Application Deadline|
|Spring Semester 2024||Friday of the first full week of September (September 8, 2023)|
|Fall Semester 2024||Friday of the first full week of April (April 12, 2024)|
How to Apply
To apply to the HALE M.A. program, follow the steps below:
- Create account and login on MSU’s Application Management System
- Start New Application: Select Graduate from dropdown menu and Create Application.
- Provide Personal Background information.
- Under Other Information, select the first semester you wish to enroll in classes. To select Major Preference, scroll to the College of Education and select Higher, Adult, and Lifelong Education (Online Program) (Masters). Provide additional details about Enrollment Information, Communications preferences, and Financial Aid. It is not necessary to include the Personal or Academic Statement as requested in Other Information. Provide responses to Conduct Questions and Other from the dropdown menus and in text boxes where appropriate.
- Include all Academic History information. To begin, click on Add Institution.
- Test Scores: The GRE (Graduate Record Exam) is not required. All international applicants and applicants whose first language is not English must be able to be proficient in English as a condition for regular admission to MSU. Such applicants will be required to demonstrate their proficiency by meeting certain minimum standards.
- Employment/Activities Page: Leave blank.
- References: Using Add Recommender, provide contact information for three people who are familiar with your academic and professional accomplishments and potential for success. The portal will then send out recommendation requests to the people you listed. The requests come from email@example.com. At least one reference should be from a faculty member who can speak to your academic skills. Letters from friends or colleagues will not be considered. The letters must be current and specifically for this application. Letters previously used for other purposes cannot be accepted.
- HALE Supplemental Questions: You will be prompted to upload your 750-Word Personal Statement. View the requirements for this statement on our website. Note the three prompts and the maximum word count.
- Provide your Signature electronically by typing in your full legal name, then select Confirm.
- The Review section will provide you with a list of potential errors if a section has not been completed. Please return to those sections and make the appropriate corrections before finalizing the application and submitting your payment.
- Once you have finalized your application, you will complete the payment ($65 for domestic applicants of $75 for international applicants).
- Once you have finalized your application, you will receive a confirmation email. You can then log back into the MSU Application Management System to upload your resume and track your application materials.
- Have questions? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Required Application Materials
MSU Office of Admission Graduate Application
Complete an application through MSU’s Application Management System and submit the application fee. The application fee for domestic applicants is $65, while the fee for international applicants is $75.
A paid application fee is required for application review.
Three (3) Letters of Reference
Provide contact information for three (3) people who are familiar with your academic and professional accomplishments and potential for success. The portal will then send out recommendation requests to the people you listed. The requests come from email@example.com.
At least one (1) reference should be from a faculty member who can speak to your academic skills.
In 750 words, answer the three (3) questions below and upload your statement to the MSU Application Management System.
- What inspires you to pursue a career in higher, adult, and lifelong education?
- What qualities, characteristics, and skills make you a strong candidate for the HALE M.A. program?
- How will the HALE program help you meet your personal and professional goals?
Please include the final word count at the end of your document (e.g. “Word Count: 750”).
Upload your resume to the MSU Application Management System once you have submitted your initial application.
Please have each degree-granting institution you have attended either electronically send or mail your official transcript to the HALE M.A. program assistant.
We cannot accept unofficial transcripts (unless you are an MSU graduate). Hard copy transcripts are only considered official if they come directly from the degree-granting institution or are received in the original, sealed envelope from the degree-granting institution with the official seal of the institution. Electronic PDF copies of transcripts uploaded to the application portal or emailed by students are not official.
Where to Send Transcripts
Sending official transcripts via electronic submission is preferred (e.g., via the National Student Clearinghouse). If this is not possible, official transcripts may be mailed from institutions to:
Higher, Adult, and Lifelong Education Program
c/o HALE Admissions Assistant
Department of Educational Administration
Michigan State University
620 Farm Lane Rm 423
East Lansing, MI 48824-1034
Phone: (517) 353-5187
International students are an important and valued part of the HALE M.A. Program. Please visit the Graduate School website to find specific guidelines on sending transcripts and completing your application correctly.
Applicants who wish to transfer into the HALE M.A. from another MSU graduate program outside the Department of Educational Administration (EAD) must complete a new application, including the Graduate Application for Admission via the MSU Application Management System and all supplemental materials.
Current EAD students looking to transfer to another program within EAD should consult their faculty advisor and the coordinator of the program.