With the assistance of an advisor, HALE MA students plan a program of study tailored to meet their educational and professional goals.
The HALE MA program requires successful completion of 30 credit hours as follows, in addition to college and university requirements.
Core Courses (6 credit hours)
- EAD 840 Inquiry in Postsecondary Education
- EAD 868 Higher, Adult and Lifelong Learning Education Pro-Seminar
Major Courses (9 credit hours)
Electives (15 credits of supplemental/related courses with at least 9 additional credits from EAD courses):
- EAD 801 Leadership and Organizational Development
- EAD 805 Administration and Organization
- EAD 860 Concept of a Learning Society
- EAD 861 Adult Learning
- EAD 870 Foundations of Postsecondary Education
- EAD 866 Teaching in Postsecondary Education
- EAD 876 Budgeting and Finance
- EAD 877 Program Planning and Evaluation in Postsecondary Education
Three elective courses must be thematically connected to the student's area of interest.
MA Degree Completion Requirements
- 20 of the 30 semester hours of coursework required for the master's degree must be earned after admission to the master's degree program. Therefore, a maximum of 9 semester hours of coursework taken before admission may be credited toward the master's degree with approval of one's academic advisor.
- The program must be completed within 5 calendar years.
- For the hybrid program, a minimum of 6 semester credits must be earned on the MSU campus. The online program has no residency requirement.