In an effort to encourage foreign young students to learn Chinese and improve their Chinese language proficiency, Hanban launched the new YCT test. As part of this effort, Hanban has organized experts from different disciplines such as Chinese language teaching, linguistics, psychology, and educational measurement to work on the program, conducting surveys in order to understand the latest trends in overseas Chinese language teaching and learning.
Test Structure & Test Form
The new YCT is an international standardized test of Chinese language proficiency. It assesses young foreign students’ abilities to use Chinese in their daily and academic lives. The new YCT consists of a writing test and a speaking test, which are independent of each other. The writing test is divided into four levels, namely, the YCT (level I), YCT (level II), YCT (level III), and YCT (level IV). The speaking test is divided into the YCT (Beginner Level) and YCT (Intermediate Level).
|Writing Test||Speaking Test|
|YCT (Level IV)||YCT|
|YCT (Level III)||YCT|
|YCT (Level II)|
|YCT (Level I)|
The different levels of the new YCT are similar to some of the levels in the Chinese Language Proficiency Scales for Speakers of Other Languages (CLPS) and the Common European Framework of Reference (CEF); details are as follows:
|New HSK||New YCT||Vocabulary||CLPS||CEF|
|HSK (Level VI)||Over 5,000||Level V||C2|
|HSK (Level V)||2,500||C1|
|HSK (Level VI)||1,200||Level IV||B2|
|HSK (Level III)||YCT(Level IV)||600||Level IV||B1|
|HSK (Level II)||YCT(Level III)||300||Level II||C2|
|HSK (Level I)||YCT(Level II)||150||Level I||C1|
Candidates who are able to pass the YCT:
- Level I Candidates who are able to pass the YCT (Level I) can understand and use some of the most common Chinese phrases and sentences and possess the ability to further their Chinese language studies.
- Level II Candidates who are able to pass the YCT (Level II) can understand and use some simple Chinese phrases and sentences and cope with basic level communications.
- Level III Candidates who are able to pass the YCT (Level III), having reached an excellent level in basic Chinese, can communicate on familiar daily topics in a simple manner.
- Level IV Candidates who are able to pass the YCT (Level IV) can communicate in Chinese at a basic level in their daily, academic and professional lives. When travelling in China, they can manage most forms of communication in Chinese.
The new YCT aims to improve Chinese language learners self-confidence and follows the principle of test-teaching correlation. It bases the design of the test on current trends in international Chinese language training and is closely related to textbook learning procedures. The purpose of the test is to promote training through testing and promote learning through testing.
The YCT is intended for students whose mother tongue is not Chinese. The results of the test can serve various purposes:
- A method for Chinese language learners to assess and improve their proficiency in Chinese.
- A reference for Chinese language training in schools.
- A method for Chinese language training institutions to evaluate training results.
- A benchmark for students who want to participate in the HSK test.
Candidates will receive their test results for the new YCT issued by Hanban within three weeks after the test.
Register For The YCT
Log onto ChineseTest.cn in order to register for the YCT. If you are a first time user, please create an account in order to proceed. If you already have an account, please use your username and password to log in and then choose the test date and test center for your up next test.