Chinese Proficiency Test
Hanyu Shuiping Kaoshi (HSK)
In an effort to better serve Chinese language learners, Hanban launched the new HSK test. The test is the result of coordinated efforts by experts from different disciplines including Chinese language teaching, linguistics, psychology, and educational measurement. The new exam combines the advantages of the original HSK with recent trends in Chinese language training by conducting surveys and making use of the latest findings in international language testing.
Test Structure & Test Form
The new HSK consists of a writing test and a speaking test, which are independent of each other. There are six levels of writing tests (HSK Level I through HSK Level VI). There are three levels of speaking tests, namely the HSK (beginner level), HSK (intermediate level), and HSK (advanced level). During the speaking test, candidates’ oral responses will be recorded. The HSK is offered in a paper-based or an internet-based test format and both are equivalent in terms of content, standards and validity.
|Writing Test||Speaking Test|
|HSK (Level VI)||HSK|
|HSK (Level V)|
|HSK (Level IV)||HSK|
|HSK (Level III)|
|HSK (Level II)||HSK|
|HSK (Level I)|
The levels of the new HSK correspond to the levels of the Chinese Language Proficiency Scales for Speakers of Other Languages (CLPS) and the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEF) as follows:
|HSK (Level VI)||Over 5,000||Level V||C2|
|HSK (Level V)||2,500||C1|
|HSK (Level VI)||1,200||Level IV||B2|
|HSK (Level III)||600||Level IV||B1|
|HSK (Level II)||300||Level II||C2|
|HSK (Level I)||150||Level I||C1|
Candidates who are able to pass the HSK:
- Level I Candidates who are able to pass the HSK (Level I) can understand and use very simple Chinese words and phrases, meet basic needs for communication and possess the ability to further their Chinese language studies.
- Level II Candidates who are able to pass the HSK (Level II) have an excellent grasp of basic Chinese and can communicate in simple and routine tasks requiring a simple and direct exchange of information on familiar and routine matters.
- Level III Candidates who are able to pass the HSK (Level III) can communicate in Chinese at a basic level in their daily, academic and professional lives. They can manage most communication in Chinese when traveling in China.
- Level IV Candidates who are able to pass the HSK (Level IV) can converse in Chinese on a wide range of topics and are able to communicate fluently with native Chinese speakers.
- Level V Candidates who are able to pass the HSK (Level V) can read Chinese newspapers and magazines, enjoy Chinese films and plays, and give a full-length speech in Chinese.
- Level VI Candidates who are able to pass the HSK (Level VI) can easily comprehend written and spoken information in Chinese and can effectively express themselves in Chinese, both orally and on paper.
The new HSK follows the principle of test-teaching correlation, bases the design of the test on the current trends in international Chinese language training, and is closely related to textbooks. The purpose of the test is to promote training through testing and promote learning through testing.
The new HSK emphasizes the objectivity and accuracy of the evaluation and stresses the learners actual Chinese language abilities.
The new HSK sets clear test objectives to allow the test takers to be able to improve their Chinese language abilities in a systematic and efficient way.
The new HSK retains the former HSK’s orientation as a general (or universal) Chinese language abilities test for adult learners. The results of the test can serve several purposes:
- A reference for an educational institution’s decision-making concerning recruiting students, assigning students to different classes, allowing students to skip certain courses and granting students academic credits.
- A reference for employers decision-making concerning the recruitment, training and promotion of test-takers.
- A method for Chinese language learners to assess and improve their proficiency in Chinese.
- A method for Chinese language training institutions to evaluate training results.
Candidates will receive the results for the new HSK issued by Hanban within one month after the test.
Register For The HSK
Log onto ChineseTest.cn in order to register for the HSK. If you are a first time user, please create an account in order to proceed. If you already have an account, please use your username and password to log in and then choose the test date and test center for your up next test.