Consideration is given to the applicant’s previous academic and professional experience. There should be in each applicant’s background a pattern of experience that supports his or her expressed desire to pursue advanced graduate studies in rehabilitation counseling. Appropriate evidence of such experience should be reflected in the applicant’s letters of recommendation.
The following are factors significant in determining ultimate acceptance as a candidate:
- A bachelor’s degree in an appropriate field from an accredited institution, with a grade point average of 3.00 (B) or better in the last two years of undergraduate study.
- A written statement of academic goals and career objectives that is 1-2 pages single-spaced, typed in length, that describes the applicant’s professional goals as they relate to the MA program in Rehabilitation Counseling.
- Three letters of recommendation, with at least two from professors and/or employers.
- Scores from the Graduate Record Examination General Test if the applicant’s grade point average is below 3.00.
Grade Point Requirement for GRE
Applicants with grade-point averages of less than 3.00 (B) in their last two years of undergraduate study must also submit scores from the Graduate Record Examination General Test (subject test scores not required). Additional application information and materials can be found at the CEPSE Department’s application page.
1. Counseling Core. All of the following courses (9 credits):
CEP 861 Counseling, Theory, Philosophy, & Ethics
CEP 862 Introduction to Individual & Group Counseling
CEP 864 Career Counseling
2. Rehabilitation Counseling Core. All of the following courses (18 credits):
CEP 868 Medical Aspects of Disability
CEP 870 Foundations of Rehabilitation Counseling
CEP 871 Cognitive & Psychological Aspects of Disability
CEP 872 Social & Environmental Aspects of Rehabilitation
CEP 873 Employment Strategies for Individuals with Disabilities
CEP 876 Professional Issues in Rehabilitation Counseling
3. Research and Evaluation. Both of the following courses (6 credits):
CEP 822 Approaches to Educational Research
CEP 877 Assessment in Rehabilitation
4. Practicum and Internship. Both of the following courses (15 credits):
CEP 894A Rehabilitation Counseling Practicum (6 credits)
CEP 893A Rehabilitation Counseling Internship (9 credits)
*Field placements must be approved by the department.