Post Bachelor Teacher Certification
Do you already have an undergraduate degree?
Here at the Department of Teacher Education we value educators from all walks of life. Often individuals who have already earned a bachelor’s degree realize they have a passion for teaching. We help such individuals develop a personalized program that will lead to initial teacher certification.
Admission CriteriaCriteria for admission to the teacher preparation program include:
- Academic accomplishments and promise
- Commitment to teaching and dispositions that support learning to teach
- Disposition to teach/work across racial or ethnic differences; with students in poverty, in urban settings or with special needs
- Contribution to diversity of program participants
Post BA applicants must have earned a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution with a cumulative GPA of 2.75 or higher. Ideally, applicants will have completed a substantial portion of the coursework required for a teaching major offered at MSU. The applicant’s GPA in the courses relevant to the teaching major and minor must be 2.5 or better.
Michigan Test for Teacher Certification (MTTC)
Prior to admission, MSU must receive official notification that all three parts (Reading, Writing, and Mathematics) of the MTTC Basic Skills Test have been passed. The MTTC Basic Skills Test is administered five times each year: January, April, July, October and November. Information about MTTC registration and fee payment is available at the MTTC website. Registration deadlines are approximately six weeks prior to test dates.
Post BA applicants must complete an application to MSU and a separate application to the Post BA Program in the College of Education. The College of Education application includes an online portion and a timed, proctored essay. There is a $50.00 nonrefundable College of Education application fee and a $20.00 essay scoring fee. Applicants who are not offered admission the first time they apply may submit one more application without an additional application fee within the following 12 months. The essay scoring fee of $20.00 is required with each application, and must be paid separately as part as the online application.
The Application Package
A complete application package for the College of Education includes the items listed below. Paper materials (Conviction Disclosure Form, Personal Information Page, and copies of transcripts) should be sent to 134 Erickson Hall, East Lansing, MI 48824. Official transcripts should be sent to the MSU Office of Admissions and Scholarships.
- A complete online application
- A timed and proctored essay
- Passing scores on the MTTC Basic Skills test with official scores sent to MSU
- A Conviction Disclosure Form
- A Personal Information Page
- For Special Education applicants, a Special Education Pre-Admission Experience Student Reaction Form and Supervisor Reaction Form
- Copies of transcripts from all colleges and universities attended
- Official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended sent directly from the institution(s) to the MSU Office of Admissions and Scholarships, Room 250 Hannah Administration Building, East Lansing, Michigan, 48824
Applications for admission to the Post-BA program are considered on a rolling basis. The complete application package must be received in our office eight weeks prior to the beginning of the desired semester of admission. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Admission decisions will be communicated approximately four-six weeks prior to the start of the admission semester. Please contact the Student Affairs Office at (517) 353-9680 with questions.