Access Office 365 Mail on the web
Office 365 Windows Outlook setup
You already use Outlook for accessing your MSU Mail:
When you open Outlook you will be prompted to enter your MSU password and Outlook will be reconfigured for your Office 365 mail account.
You are setting Outlook up for the first time:
1. Start Outlook and allow it to do an automatic setup. Enter your name and MSU Email and click next
2. Outlook will search for server settings automatically.
3. Windows will prompt you for your password. Click OK once your password is entered.
4. Click OK.
5. Outlook will continue setting up your mailbox. Click Finish when done.
6. Restart Outlook if it does not automatically restart. Outlook is now setup to use Office 365 mail on the PC.
Manual Server Configuration
In some cases the auto-discover process may fail, requiring adjustment of certain fields.
Return to the Auto Account Setup from Step 1, then temporarily change the email address to: NETID@michiganstate.mail.onmicrosoft.com
Once Outlook successfully loads the settings using the alternate address, Windows will further prompt for the verification of the account credentials, as shown below.
- The user name will auto-populate in the form of NETID@michiganstate.mail.onmicrosoft.com; adjust the email address back to the form of NETID@msu.edu.
- Your password will be your MSU NetId password.
- Click to select the Remember my credentials checkbox.
Office 365 Mac Outlook setup
If you are setting up Outlook for the first time skip to step 5.
If you are already using Outlook for MSU Exchange Mail you will need to remove the old account. If you are unsure if you need to remove your existing MSU account contact Computer Support first.
1. To remove your existing account open Outlook on the Mac and go to the "Tools" menu and select "Accounts".
2. On the left you should see your MSU account.
3. Highlight the account and click on the minus button to delete it.
4. Wait for Outlook to remove the account.
5. Quit Outlook and open it again.
6. You will be prompted to enter your email address. Put in your MSU email address on this screen. Note: If you are not prompted to add an account go to the "Tools" menu and select "Accounts" and press the + button to add a new account.
7. A screen will pop up for MSU Spartan 365. Enter your MSU NetID password.
8. Your account will be added. Click "Done". Outlook is now setup.
Office 365 Mac Mail setup
If you are setting up Mac Mail for the first time:
1. Open Mac System Preferences.
2. Choose "Internet Accounts".
3. Choose "Exchange".
4. Fill out your name, email and password.
Note: If you encounter an error trying to connect to the server with your username and password you may have to enter your user account as firstname.lastname@example.org in the newly appearing "User Name" field. If it still fails to connect to the server with your username and password you will get a "Next" button bringing you to a place to enter the External and Internal server address. These should both be: outlook.office365.com
5. Select what Exchange features you want to use.
6. Click "Done". Mac Mail is now setup. Open Apple Mail to access your MSU Email.
If you are using Apple Mail already for MSU Email you should contact Computer Support for advice if you should remove your existing account or keep it for migrating old mail. Exchange users will most likely remove their old Exchange account in Mail and add this new one, but if you are unsure contact us first.
Office 365 iOS Mail Setup
If you are setting up iOS Mail for the first time skip to step 4.
If you are already using Outlook for MSU Exchange Mail you will need to remove the old account.
1. Go to Settings on your iPhone or iPad and select "Accounts and Passwords". Choose your existing MSU Mail account on the right.
2. Tap "Delete Account" at the bottom.
3. Confirm that you want to delete this account.
4. Go to Settings on your iPhone or iPad and select "Accounts and Passwords". Tap "Add Account"
5. Choose "Exchange".
6. Type in your email and name the account.
7. Tap "Sign in".
8. A Microsoft sign in page will come up. Sign in with your MSU password.
9. Tap "Save". iOS Mail app is now setup for MSU email.
Office 365 Android Mail Setup
Note not all Android devices are the same so some settings may differ on your device.
1. Open the Mail app on your device and add a new account.
2. Select the option for an Exchange server, which may appear as, but is not necessarily limited to, Microsoft Exchange, or Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync.
3. When prompted to add your account, enter your full email address as the user name and your NetID password.
4. Select Next to continue. The auto-discover process should automatically locate the server and move to
the Exchange ActiveSync settings window. If this occurs you may skip to step 7.
5. If the auto-configure process fails to locate the server, you will need to enter the information manually.
Required settings are provided below.
6. Verify your account settings. Specific settings are provided below:
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Server Address: outlook.office365.com
- Domain: None (Leave blank)
- Username: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Password: Your NetID password
- Secure (SSL) Connection: Enabled
7. Select Next to move to the Exchange ActiveSync settings window.
8. Continue to the completion screen. The account name will likely default to msu.edu, however you may
adjust it as desired. Select Finish, or the equivalent provided by your app, to complete the process.
The account will now be ready for use. The setup process will typically deposit you in the Inbox once it completes.