College of Education Sitemap
Skip to Main Content


Frequently Asked Questions

General Information
Graduation Information
Transfer Credit
Teacher and Administrator Certification and Endorsement
Financial Aid/Tuition
International Students

General Information

What is the major code and degree name for the online MAED Program?
The major code is 2294; and the degree title is Master of Arts in Education.

When will I hear about my admission status?
Typically, you will hear from us four to six weeks after the application deadline.

Will I receive a regular MSU diploma upon completion of the program?
Yes. The MAED is a regular MSU M.A. program, meets all MSU requirements for Master's level study, and carries a regular diploma. The title of the degree is "Master of Arts in Education."  There is no reference made to online delivery. A student's primary concentration area will be noted on their transcript when the requirements for the degree have been completed. MSU and its academic programs are accredited by the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools.

How many courses should I take in my first semester?
Please visit the Course Load section of the New Students page.

How long do most MAED candidates take to complete their academic program?
Completion is dependent upon how many courses a student takes each semester. Two courses per semester is a full load for working educators, but some students begin with one course. Most students complete their program in 2 1/2 years. All course work and degree requirements must be completed in five years.

When will I be assigned an academic advisor?
Once admitted to the online MAED program, students will be assigned an advisor. If you have any questions about the program, first review this FAQ page. If you cannot find an answer to your question(s), please e-mail the online MAED advisor, John Olle, at

How do I set up my MSU e-mail account?
Please visit the Set Up Your MSUNetID (E-mail) Account's section of the New Students page by clicking here.

How and when do I enroll for courses?
Please visit the Tuition and Enrollment page by clicking here.

How and when do I access my class?
Please visit the Access Your Class(es)'s section of the New Students page by clicking here.

Where can I access the Program Planning Form and MAED Annual Review?
You can download the Program Planning form by clicking here.  You can download the MAED Annual Review by clicking here.  Once you fill them out, be sure to submit them to the MAED Advisor, John Olle,

May I change my course selection after I submit my MAED program plan?
Yes. Changes may be made with the approval of your academic advisor, John Olle.

Where can I get my grades, class schedules, billing information, account detail, etc?

Do I need to use my MSU e-mail account?
Your MSU e-mail address is the only e-mail address that the University will use to send official communication to students. However, you can auto-forward all incoming e-mails, including those tagged as spam, to another service or account. Click on "MSU Prefs" in the sidebar menu to access this setting.

Graduation Information

Do I need to apply to graduate?
Yes. The first week of the semester you expect to graduate, submit the graduation application. If you expect to graduate in the summer, submit this application in the first week of spring.

Where do I find information about commencement?
Go to the MSU Commencement website at

When will I receive my diploma?
Your diploma will be sent to the mailing address you provided on your graduation application, and will be mailed to you approximately four weeks after the end of the semester that you graduate.

My employer is requesting that I obtain documentation of degree completion. How do I do this?
The quickest method to receive documentation of degree completion is to order transcripts online. You will receive an e-mail as soon as your transcripts indicate your degree has been conferred. MSU transcript requests submitted by 1pm EST are processed the same business day. Transcripts can be delivered via U.S. mail or electronically.  For more information about ordering transcripts visit the MSU Transcript Request page at


In some cases, your school may require a letter (instead of a transcript) indicating that you have completed your degree.  You should submit this request two weeks before the last day of your last course.  MAED program staff can send a letter to your school within two weeks of the last day of your last course.  To submit this request, send an e-mail to Be sure to include:

  1. Your name
  2. Your PID
  3. Your MSU e-mail address
  4. All of the courses you are currently taking
  5. The name and address of the recipient of the letter.


Students from North Carolina should send the Verification by Institution Completion of Approved Education Program form to the College of Education Certification Officer, Assistant Dean Susan Dalebout, at


Transfer Credit

Can I transfer previously taken credits into this program?
Yes. Students may transfer a total of nine credits of M.A. level work taken prior to admission to the program; however, once you begin taking MA courses online, all remaining course work must be taken online. Also, all course work must be no older than five years at the time of graduation.

What are the criteria for transferring credit to the MAED program?
For courses to transfer:

  • A grade of 3.0 or better must have been earned
  • The course(s) must be graduate level
  • The course(s) may not have been used towards another degree
  • The course(s) must be no older than five years at the time of graduation
  • The course must meet degree requirements as approved by the MAED advisor
  • The course must be from another similarly accredited institution
  • The course must be taken prior to enrollment in the MAED program

How many of my MSU internship credits can transfer into the MAED, and how do I get them transferred?
Nine of your internship credits may be used: TE/KIN 802, 803, and 804 or CEP 801A, 802A, and 804A. To transfer these credits into the program be sure to include them in the second concentration area on your program planning form. To be used toward program requirements, they must be no older than five years at the time of graduation.

What do I need to do to have my transfer credits evaluated?
Transfer credits are evaluated by your academic advisor, John Olle, after you have been admitted to the program. To begin this process, send a copy of the course description, syllabus, and an official transcript to:

      John P. Olle, Academic Advisor
      Michigan State University
      Master of Arts in Education
      Erickson Hall
      620 Farm Lane, Room 215
      East Lansing, MI 48824

This process may take several weeks. You will be able to see if the transfer credits are approved at STUINFO. If the credits are not approved, John Olle will be in touch with you regarding that decision.

Teacher and Administrator Certification and Endorsement

How does the MAED apply to Michigan teaching certificate requirements for renewal and professional certification?
For Michigan certified teachers and teachers certified in other states seeking Michigan certification, the MAED qualifies as a planned program of study, which is one requirement toward Michigan renewal and professional certification. However, this program is not designed to provide State of Michigan endorsement nor initial teacher certification. For more information about certification and endorsement in Michigan, please visit the Certification page on the College of Education web site.

The College of Education has not determined whether the Masters of Arts in Education (MAED) online program satisfies licensure, endorsement, or certification requirements in all states.  Licensure and certification is regulated individually by states and no two are exactly alike. Some states have different levels of licensure and/or certification requirements.  For example, in Michigan, the MAED online program alone does not lead to State of Michigan endorsement or initial teacher certification.  Students who wish to use this program for renewal, endorsement, or certification in their home state should contact their bachelor’s certification institution or their home state department of education for applicable requirements, rules, and regulations of their home state.  Students are responsible for determining whether the MAED online program will meet their home states’ requirements for certification, licensure, or otherwise advancing a student’s teaching credentials.  Contact MSU’s Online MAED academic advisor with questions or, for state department of education contact information, please visit

What courses do I need to take to meet the Michigan Reading course requirement?
For information on the Public Act 118 of 2006, New Reading Requirement for Teachers holding the Provisional Teaching Certificate, please visit the State of Michigan Reading Requirements page on the College of Education web site. An undergraduate course in reading as part of an initial or provisional certification does not fulfill this requirement. For more information, please contact the MSU Certification Office at (517) 353-9680.

What courses do I need to take to meet voluntary Michigan School Administrator Certification and Endorsements?
Eligibility requirements regarding administrative certification and endorsements through MSU can be found at the Department of Educational Administration web site. For more information, please visit this page by clicking here.

Financial Aid/Tuition

Who is eligible for Financial Aid?
To be eligible to file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and qualify for federal grants and loans, you must be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen. For complete information on eligibility, please visit the Eligibility page of the Financial Aid web site by clicking here.

How many credits must I take in order to receive my financial aid?
You must enroll for a minimum of five credits. Please contact the Office of Financial Aid for additional information at

Do out-of-state students need to pay out-of-state tuition?
No. Tuition for online MAED candidates is the same for all students regardless of residency. Please see the current tuition rate on the Controller's Office website at The MAED is listed as "On-line Education Masters."

How do VA benefits apply to the MAED?
VA benefits apply to the MAED like all other graduate degree programs. Questions regarding VA benefits may be directed to the Joann Villarreal in Registrar's office at

How do I know when to pay my tuition?
The MSU Business Office will send a notice to your MSU e-mail address when your tuition invoice is available on STUNIFO at For an estimate on when you will receive the e-mail, check the Billing and Fee Payment Schedule webpage on website of the Controller's Office.

International Students

Do I need a diploma or a bachelor's equivalent to apply to this program?
Applicants must possess a U.S bachelor's degree or its equivalent from an accredited institution with a minimum 3.0 overall grade point average.

Do international students need to pay out-of-state tuition?
No. Tuition for online MAED degree candidates is the same for all students regardless of residency. For complete information please visit the Tuition and Enrollment page.

Are there language proficiency requirements?
Yes. For more information, please visit the International Applicants section of the Application Procedure page.

If I am an international student, do I need to obtain a student visa and submit a statement of financial proof when applying to the MAED program?
No. Inasmuch as you will not be entering the United States to study, neither is required.

As an international student, can I get Federal Financial Aid?
Students must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident to get Federal Financial Aid.