Undergraduate Study Abroad
The programs listed below are open to students across the university, not only to students in the College of Education.
Summer Sports Program Down Under (Kinesiology and Sport Track)
V. Dianne Ulibarri (email@example.com), Joshua Cochran (firstname.lastname@example.org), Sandy Tupper (email@example.com)
A Day in the Life of Japan: Education, Popular Culture, and Society
David Wong (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Learning, Technology, & Culture in Europe
Contact: David Wong (email@example.com), Heather Shea (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Cross-Cultural Teaching Abroad
Ann Castle (email@example.com), Margo Glew (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Cross-Cultural Teaching Abroad
Corvell Cranfield (email@example.com)
History, Culture and Schooling in Southern Africa
Molade Osibodu (firstname.lastname@example.org), John Aerni-Flessner (email@example.com)
University of KwaZulu-Natal (Exchange program)
Fall and Spring semesters
John Metzler (firstname.lastname@example.org), Julia Grant (email@example.com)
Funding Your Study Abroad Experience
Dean's Scholarships for Undergraduate Study Abroad and the Ian J. Render Memorial Scholarship for Study Abroad to South Africa
What: Two Dean’s Scholarships of $2,000 each will be awarded to help students from the College of Education cover expenses that exceed on-campus costs related to their chosen College of Education study abroad program. Additionally, the Ian J. Render Memorial Scholarship will consist of $3,000, which will be awarded to help students cover expenses exclusively for the College of Education study abroad program for cross-cultural teaching in South Africa.
Who: The Scholarships will provide support to undergraduates from the College of Education who are enrolled in credit-bearing study abroad programs sponsored by the College of Education in the summer of 2019, fall of 2019, or spring of 2020.
Why: The scholarships will significantly lower the cost barrier of study abroad and enable the engagement of students in powerful learning experiences that lead to greater understanding of diverse peoples and cultures.
How: See below to download detailed information about the application process, as well as for links the online application materials. The deadline for application submission is January 25, 2019. Applications will be reviewed by a faculty committee in early February. Promising applicants will be invited to a selection interview in mid- to late-February, and the awards will be announced by early March 2019.
Scholarship Application Requirements and Links
The scholarship application should be completed online. Please note the following:
- The application requires that you upload a document with your responses to these two essay questions, each of which should be no longer than one page, single-spaced:
- Rationale for Interest in Study Abroad: How does study abroad fit into your long-term personal and/or career goals? How will this experience enhance your study to become an educator?
- Previous Experiences with New Environments or Situations: Write about a time when you experienced a new place, differences in culture, or differences in thought. How did you respond to this new environment or experience? What did you learn from this experience? This may include experiences locally, nationally, or abroad.
- You will also need to upload a .pdf of your unofficial MSU transcript.
- You will need to request a letter of recommendation from a reference who you will list on your application.
- Be sure to ask your reference to write you a letter of recommendation before you submit your application.
- Letters of reference should be uploaded via the online form
- The deadline for applications and recommendations is Friday, January 25, 2019, by 5:00 p.m.
- A select group of finalists will be interviewed in mid-February 2019.
- The scholarship award recipients are anticipated to be announced by the beginning of March 2019.
Download full information about the scholarship and the application process.
Applications and recommendation letters must be submitted by Friday, January 25, 2019, at 5:00 p.m.
Any questions? Contact Jill Manske (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Additional Resources to Assist with Navigating and Funding Study Abroad