Undergraduate Study Abroad
Curious about what students from the College of Education have experienced and gained from their study abroad programs? Hear them share their insights in their own words in these short video testimonies.
The programs listed below are open to students across the university, not only to students in the College of Education.
Funding Your Study Abroad Experience
Dean's Scholarships for Undergraduate Study Abroad and the Ian J. Render Memorial Scholarship for Study Abroad to South Africa
What: Three Dean’s Scholarships of $1,500 each will be awarded to help students from the College of Education cover expenses that exceed on-campus costs related to their chosen College of Education study abroad program. Additionally, the Ian J. Render Memorial Scholarship will consist of $3,000, which will be awarded to help students cover expenses exclusively for the College of Education study abroad program for cross-cultural teaching in South Africa.
Who: The Scholarships will provide support to undergraduates from the College of Education who will be enrolled in credit-bearing study abroad programs sponsored by the College of Education in the summer of 2020, fall of 2020, or spring of 2021.
Why: The scholarships will significantly lower the cost barrier of study abroad and enable the engagement of students in powerful learning experiences that lead to greater understanding of diverse peoples and cultures.
How: See below to download detailed information about the application process, as well as for links the online application materials. The deadline for application submission is Friday, January 24, 2020. Applications will be reviewed by a faculty committee in early February. Promising applicants will be invited to a selection interview in mid- to late-February, and the awards will be announced by early March 2020.
Application Requirements and Links for the Dean's and Render Scholarships
The scholarship application should be completed online. Please note the following:
- The application requires that you upload a document with your responses to these two essay questions, each of which should be no longer than one page, single-spaced:
- Rationale for Interest in Study Abroad: How does study abroad fit into your long-term personal and/or career goals? How will this experience enhance your study to become an educator?
- Previous Experiences with New Environments or Situations: Write about a time when you experienced a new place, differences in culture, or differences in thought. How did you respond to this new environment or experience? What did you learn from this experience? This may include experiences locally, nationally, or abroad.
- You will also need to upload a .pdf of your unofficial MSU transcript.
- You will need to request a letter of recommendation from a reference who you will list on your application.
- Be sure to ask your reference to write you a letter of recommendation before you submit your application.
- Letters of reference should be uploaded via this online form
- The deadline for applications and recommendations is Friday, January 24, 2020, by 5:00 p.m.
- A select group of finalists will be interviewed in mid-February 2020.
- The scholarship award recipients are anticipated to be announced by the beginning of March 2020.
Download full information about the Dean's and Render scholarships and the process to apply.
Applications and recommendation letters must be submitted by Friday, January 24, 2020, at 5:00 p.m.
Any questions? Contact Jill Manske (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Additional Resources to Assist with Navigating and Funding Study Abroad
Another scholarship opportunity:
Preparing Teachers for Global Classrooms Through Study Abroad scholarship
MSU International Studies and Programs and the College of Education offer this competitive $500 scholarship for teacher education students participating in MSU-sponsored study abroad programs in summer or fall 2020: