Global Education Policy Fellowship Program (EPFP)
The Global EPFP is designed to provide GEPFP Senior Fellows with the opportunity to study policy in the Age of Globalization by investigating education policy challenges in economically developed and developing countries. Across cultures, political leaders and policy makers are preparing initiatives to ensure that their countries will remain competitive in a global economy.
What implications will a global economy have on education policy in the United States? Should high schools, community colleges and universities revise their programs and services in order to prepare young people to be successful in work places that are evolving as technology’s influence become increasingly pervasive? What does it mean to be “career ready” in the 21st Century?
The Global EPFP engages participating Senior Policy Fellows in conversations about these and related questions with policy makers, educators, private sector leaders and others in the countries selected to better understand the changing global education policy landscape. Through a series of assigned readings, online synchronous meetings and a highly-focused in-country field study, the Senior Fellows gain insights into global policy challenges, develop new network contacts and experience new cultures.
- Develop greater awareness of how other countries prepare young people for a globally interconnected economy
- Develop a multi-cultural perspective on U.S. effort’s to ensure its schools are globally competitive
- Observe and engage with leaders shaping school reform efforts
- Establish relationships with global education policy leaders
- 2011 and 2012 Field Experience to Beijing, Xi’an and Shanghai, China
- 2013 Field Experience to London, Cambridge and Oxford, England
- 2015 Field Experience to Thimphu and Paro, Bhutan
- 2016 Field Experience to Bangalore, Delhi and Agra, India
- 2017 Field Experience to Beijing, Chongqing, Chengdu and Shanghai, China (Group Photo)
- 2018 Field Experience to Baden-Württemberg, Germany and Zürich, Switzerland
- 2020 Field Experience to Argentina, Buenos Aires and Ushuaia (Program Description)
- Monthly Conference Calls – Pre-departure orientation and briefings
- 10-Day International Field Experience
- A blend of academic, business and cultural experiences
- Post-trip reflections and evaluation
- Background readings and discussions
- Optional Policy Project
Each GEPFP Senior Fellow or the Fellow's employing agency–the sponsor–pays the participation fee, which is inclusive of program fees; double-occupancy hotel accommodations; land transportation with guides, tips, and gratuities; daily breakfast; admission to all sites included in itinerary, and ground transportation. The round-trip international airfare costs are the responsibility of the individual participants.
We are no longer accepting applications for the 2020 GEPFP to Argentina. If you have interest in participating in a future field experience please contact one of the program leaders.