Applicants must possess a bachelor's degree from an accredited institution. Consideration for admission on a regular basis requires at least a 3.0 grade-point average in the final two years of undergraduate study. Applicants with a grade-point average below 3.0 for the same time period may be considered for admission on a provisional basis.
Application Deadline to Apply to the HALE MA Program for Optimal Consideration for beginning your study Fall 2013: January 5th, 2013
Completed applications received after January 5th will be considered for fall admission as space permits.
Follow these steps to ensure a complete application:
- Complete the online MSU Graduate School application, including the following: Please note: You will not be able to begin the OSAS process until you complete the Graduate School application. You will receive a password to OSAS within a few days after you submit the Graduate School application. Please keep this in mind as you identify individuals to complete your letters of recommendation.
- On-line graduate study application for admission (HALE MA Program Code: 2288; Online HALE MA Program Code: 6734)
- Pay $50 application fee
- The graduate school asks for an academic statement and personal statement of purpose. Under each field, please enter "Please see my personal statement uploaded on the HALE online supplemental application system"
- Complete the Online Supplemental Application System (OSAS), including:
- Provide information for three recommenders
- Upload a pdf file of resume
- Upload your personal statement (pdf format recommended)
- Send official transcripts to:
Higher, Adult, and Lifelong Education (HALE) Program
c/o HALE Admissions Assistant
Department of Educational Administration
620 Farm Lane Rm. 423
East Lansing, MI 48824-1034
Please Note: The GREs or an academic interview are not required for admission.
We encourage you to keep copies of all application materials for your records.
U. S. Residents:
U. S. applicants who are not already admitted to graduate study at MSU must submit the Graduate Application for Admission. An application fee and college transcripts of all previous academic work must be submitted with this form.
More Information on Admission to the MSU Graduate School
Online & Downloadable Application to Graduate Study
International students who have not been admitted to graduate study at MSU are required to submit the International Graduate Application for Admission, proof of financial support, and proof of proficiency in English. For more information please contact the Office of International Students and Scholars, 427 N. Shaw Lane, Room 105, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI 48824, (517) 353-1720 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Transferring from other Michigan State Graduate Programs:
Applicants who wish to transfer into the HALE MA from another MSU graduate program not in the Department of Educational Administration must complete a new application, including the Graduate Application for Admission and all supplemental materials to the HALE unit. Current students in the Department of Educational Administration looking to transfer to another program within the Department of Educational Administration should consult their faculty advisor and the coordinator of the program.
Admission decisions for the Master of Arts in Higher, Adult, and Lifelong Education occur once a year. The deadline for applications is January 5th for optimal consideration. Completed applications received after January 5th will be considered for fall admission as space permits.