Teacher & Administrator Certification
Teachers may take courses to advance to the Professional Certificate, renew the Provisional Certificate or add new endorsements to an existing cerficate. As of September 1, 2013, teachers use the Michigan Online Educator Certification System (MOECS) to apply for the Professional Certificate or a renewal of the Provisional Certificate. No application to the MSU Certification Office is required. Additional endorsements still require a recommendation from MSU or another approved teacher preparation institution. Teachers need not complete all of the credits required for an additional endorsement at MSU; however, we generally require that half of the credits be taken through MSU.
To be recommended for the K-12 School Administrator Certificate with Elementary and Secondary endorsements through MSU, an applicant must have completed (a) an approved master's degree in K-12 Administration at MSU, or (b) a relevant master's degree and an approved 18-credit core administrative studies program at MSU.
More Information for Teachers
- State of Michigan Reading Requirements
- Additional Endorsements
- Adding an Endorsement to an Existing Teaching Certificate
- Adding a New Level (Elementary or Secondary) Endorsement to an Existing Certificate
- Course Offerings and Enrollment Options
- Certification in/from Another State
- Renewal of the Professional Teaching Certificate
- Oral Proficiency Requirements for Teachers of World Languages