Admission to the Chinese Experimental Post Baccalaureate Teacher Certification ProgramPlease read all instructions carefully and complete all questions on the on-line application.
Who Is Eligible to Apply
This program is intended for speakers of Chinese Mandarin who have earned a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution. Candidates who are already certified as teachers (through either an American or non-American college or university) and/or are currently teaching Chinese in a public school are also eligible to apply.
The Application Period
Applications for the 2013-2014 academic year are due by January 31, 2013. Only complete applications received by that date can be considered. Paper application materials (in addition to the on-line portion of the application) must be mailed to 620 Farm Lane Room 230, East Lansing, MI 48824 or faxed to 517.432.4797 (attention “Chinese Program”). Admission decisions will be communicated to applicants by email. Questions should be directed to 517.355.3801.
The Admission ApplicationApplicants are required to:
- Complete the on-line application for admission to the Chinese Experimental Teacher Certification program.
- Submit an essay in response to an essay question (an essay question will be e-mailed to the applicant after the application has been received).
- Submit official transcripts from all undergraduate institutions attended showing an overall GPA of 2.75 or higher (official transcripts must be received in an unopened, sealed envelope sent directly from the issuing institution). Transcripts from foreign universities must be submitted in both English and the foreign language. Official graduate certificates from foreign universities are also required in both languages. Candidates who received their bachelor’s degrees from institutions outside the U.S. must have their transcripts evaluated by an approved agency, such as Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc (ECE); International Education Research Foundation, Inc (IERF); or World Education Service, Inc (WES). Admission will be considered on an individual basis when candidates have baccalaureate degrees from foreign universities and cumulative GPAs between 2.50 and 2.75, as determined by an approved U.S.-based transcript evaluation agency, such as ECE, IERF, or WES.
- Submit three letters of recommendation that attest to the candidate’s potential as a teacher of Chinese.
- Demonstrate proficiency in Mandarin Chinese. Native speakers of Mandarin will demonstrate oral proficiency through a panel review. Non-native and heritage speakers of Mandarin are required to score in the “Intermediate-High” range on the ACTFL Oral Proficiency Interview (OPI). For information about arranging to take the ACTFL OPI in Mandarin, please contact the Center for the Support of Language Teaching (CeLTA).
- Demonstrate oral proficiency in English. For native speakers of English, proficiency will be established through a panel review. Non-native speakers of English will be required to submit TOEFL or IELTS scores. Native speakers of English with degrees from U.S. institutions are exempt from this test requirement for the CTCP program. The MATC program also requires TOEFL scores for applicants whose first language is not English. Requirements:
- TOEFL: iBT. An average score of 80 or above with no sub-score below 19 and a score of 22 or above on the writing component is required. Test scores from up to 24 months prior to admission can be submitted. Only the iBT will be accepted.
- IELTS. A score of 6.5 or higher is required. Test scores from up to 24 months prior to admission can be submitted.
- Pass all three subparts of the Michigan Test for Teacher Certification (MTTC) Basic Skills Test
- Applicants who are not currently residing in the U.S. may register for, and take, the Basic Skills Test when they arrive in the U.S.; all other candidates must pass the Basic Skills Test prior to admission.
- Applicants should request that scores be sent to MSU when they register for the test (www.mttc.nesinc.com).
- Official scores are required and must be sent directly from the testing company to MSU.
- Essay (will be sent via e-mail once the application is received)
- Official Transcripts (transcripts and graduation certificate or diploma)
- Transcript Evaluation (from ECE, WES or IERF)
- Official TOEFL or IELTS scores (English proficiency)
- ACTFL OPI or panel review (Chinese proficiency)
- 3 Letters of Recommendation
- MTTC Basic Skills test
- Conviction Disclosure Form