CEPSE Graduate Admission
Complete the following steps in the application procedure below. Please send the department application, vita, statement of goals, writing sample electronically as an email .doc attachment to the admissions personnel listed on each program's department application. All PhD application materials must meet the December 1 deadline to be considered for university awards.
1. University Graduate Application -- To complete this application on-line or to download an application, go to the following web site...
Application fees, payable to Michigan State University, are non-refundable and should be sent with the graduate and department application to the admissions personnel listed on the department application. The recommendation form provided in the graduate application is not necessary.
2. Department Applications and Program Information -- The following forms can be downloaded as a DOC (Document), which can be opened by most word processing software. The forms can also be downloaded in a PDF (Portable Document Format) using Adobe Acrobat Reader which is available at Adobe's site as a free download. The Department Application should be completed and returned to the appropriate person listed on the application.
3. Letters of Recommendation -- Three (3) letters of recommendation should be submitted on letterhead stationery of the recommender's school or company. The recommendation form provided in the graduate application is not necessary.
4. Goals Statement -- Download the goal statement format in RTF or PDF format.
5. Writing Sample -- Ph.D. and Ed.S. applicants. Submit an example of academic or professional writing, e.g., something that they have published, a master's thesis, or a paper they might have submitted to fulfill graduate course requirements. The applicant must have authored the sample exclusively. The purpose is to demonstrate the candidate's ability to write analytical English prose in order to give the review committee a clear idea of how well the candidate will be able to carry out the kind of analytical writing that is such a central component of advanced graduate study.
6. University Transcripts -- One official copy from all previous institutions attended. These transcripts must be sent directly from the institution; please contact the Registrar's Office at the institutions you attended for the appropriate procedures and fee information.
7. Vita or Resume -- List professional experience, awards, honors, publications, presentations, professional affiliations, and professional development activities.
8. Graduate Record Examination (GRE)* -- The verbal, quantitative and analytical portions of the GRE should be submitted. Applicants should have official test results reported to institution code 1465. Information on testing may be obtained from:
MSU Testing Office
207 Student Services Building
East Lansing, MI 48824
*GRE required for all programs except Ed Tech - 2299 and 6731
9. Contact Information -- A list of telephone numbers, postal and e-mail addresses, and web sites to help during your application process.
10. Financial Aid -- Information on Ph.D. fellowships, assistantships and graduate student financial aid is available from the Office of Financial Aid at http://www.finaid.msu.edu/, from
the Graduate School at http://grad.msu.edu/assistantships/docs/assistantship.pdf
or from the College of Education web site
All Ph.D. applicants must meet a December 1 deadline to be considered for university awards.
11. Housing Information -- Graduate housing information is available at the Division of Housing and Student Services web site, http://www.hfs.msu.edu/