Back to Program Handbook
Applications for admission to the program are reviewed by faculty who look for indications of a high probability of success. Applicants must submit both Departmental and University admissions forms.
Factors considered in admissions decisions include:
- Clarity of applicant's professional goals and interests as stated in the personal statement
- Fit between the program and the applicant's goals and interests as stated in the personal statement
- Previous academic experience and performance as indicated by official undergraduate
transcripts (and graduate transcripts, as relevant)
- Scores on the Graduate Record Examination General Test (and TOEFL, for international
- Recommendations from individuals who know the applicant with special emphasis on those who are familiar with the candidate’s scholarly work or relevant work experience.
Students may be admitted during the Fall or Spring term, but are encouraged to apply for Fall admission to increase the likelihood of receiving financial support, to experience a smoother transition into the MSU community via orientation and becoming a cohort member, and to synchronize their coursework with existing University course sequencing. Students are encouraged to submit application materials as early as possible.
A. Admission Procedure
The following steps outline the application procedure. To ensure all application materials are received, send them in one packet to the admissions personnel listed on the Department application.
- University Graduate Application -- Accessible from The Graduate School’s webpage: http://www.grad.msu.edu , this application, may be completed on-line or downloaded as a PDF. The non-refundable application fee, payable to Michigan State University, should be enclosed with the University Graduate and Department applications, and sent to the admissions personnel listed on the Department application. The recommendation form provided in the University Graduate application is not necessary.
- Department Application and Program Information -- These forms can be downloaded in DOC or PDF format from the Department of Counseling, Educational Psychology, and Special Education’s website: http://www.education.msu.edu/cepse.
- Letters of Recommendation -- Three (3) letters of recommendation should be submitted on letterhead stationery of the recommender's school, organization, or company. The recommendation form provided in the graduate application is not necessary.
- Goals Statement -- The goal statement format may be downloaded in DOC or PDF format.
- Writing Sample -- Submit an example of academic or professional writing, e.g., a publication, Master's thesis, or paper submitted to fulfill graduate course requirements. The applicant must have authored the sample exclusively. The purpose of the writing sample is to demonstrate a candidate's ability to write the analytical English prose that is such a central component of advanced graduate study.
- University Transcripts -- One official transcript copy from all previous institutions attended should be provided. These transcripts must be sent directly from each institution; please contact the Registrar's Office at the institutions you attended for the appropriate procedures and fee information.
- Curriculum Vitae or Résumé -- List professional education, experience, awards, honors, publications, presentations, professional affiliations, and professional development activities.
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE) -- The Verbal, Quantitative, and Analytical portions of the GRE should be submitted. Information on testing may be obtained from:
MSU Counseling Center
207 Student Services Building
East Lansing, MI 48824
Financial Aid -- Information about Ph.D. fellowships, assistantships and graduate student financial aid is available from the Office of Financial Aid, The Graduate School, or the College of Education.
Housing Information -- Graduate housing information is available from the Division of Housing and Student Services.
Applications will not be reviewed until all materials are submitted.
B. Admission Materials
C. Transfer Admission
Students seeking to transfer to the MQM Program from other graduate programs at MSU or other institutions will be considered on the same basis as all other applicants seeking admissions to the Program. Admission requirements and procedures are the same as those followed by first-time applicants.
Back to Program Handbook