Criteria For Progression to the InternshipTo progress to the internship a teacher candidate must: A) meet the Academic Requirements listed below, B) pass the required Michigan Test for Teacher Certification (MTTC) for elementary teaching or the subject test corresponding to the teaching major for secondary teaching, C) submit a complete Conviction Disclosure Form, and D) meet the Professional Criteria set forth below.
A. Academic Requirements
Before beginning the internship, teacher candidates must have:
(1) completed all teaching major and teaching minor requirements as well as all teacher certification coursework and other courses required for teacher certification;
(2) been awarded the bachelor’s degree (Note: Music Education students complete MUS 495, "Directed Teaching," as part of their baccalaureate degree.);
(3) earned a Grade Point Average of 2.5 or above in each of the following:
University overall cumulative GPA, teaching major GPA and teaching minor GPA;1
(5) earned a minimum grade of 2.0 in all courses in the Planned Program for Elementary Certification;4
(6) passed all three components of the Michigan Test for Teacher Certification Basic Skills test (reading, writing, and math); and,
(7) completed the Michigan State Department of Education technology requirement.